July 18, 2019

CJ CGV’s Vietnam unit drops plans to go public

PUBLISHED : November 07, 2018 - 14:43

UPDATED : November 07, 2018 - 14:43

  • 본문폰트 작게
  • 본문폰트 크게
  • 페이스북
  • 트위터
  • sms

[THE INVESTOR] CJ CGV Vietnam Holdings on Nov. 7 announced that it has dropped its plans to go public.

“We conducted a demand forecast for listing but found that it would be difficult for our company to get a proper valuation (that we expected),” a CJ CGV official said in a statement. 

As the top theater operator in Vietnam, it originally hoped to raise 107.99 billion won (US$96.42 million) to 131.99 billion by listing its 5.7 million shares on Korea’s benchmark bourse KOSPI. The Vietnam unit currently operates 46 theaters, which account for more than 50 percent market share in the country. Its sales in the first quarter reached 74.9 billion won, posting an operating profit of 7.4 billion won.

The firm had originally set its subscription period for Nov. 7-8, but canceled the schedule and submitted related documents to withdraw the IPO. According to the company, the lead managers, Shinhan Investment and Hanwha Investment & Securities, agreed to drop the IPO plans.

Industry sources say that the low demand from investors is possibily due to the sharp volatility of KOSPI. Investors are very cautious as they are not very sure of a major rebound given the continuing trade tensions between the US and China.

The holding firm, a special vehicle based in the British Virgin Islands, currently operates the largest multiplex chain in Vietnam through its subsidiary CJ CGV Vietnam. Currently, CJ CGV holds an 80 percent stake in the Vietnamese subsidiary, with the remaining 20 percent being held by a local partner.

By Song Seung-hyun (

  • 페이스북
  • 트위터
  • sms
Herald Corporation|CEO : Kwon Chung Won
Publisher. Editor : Kwon Chung Won
Chief Privacy Officer & Juvenile Protection Manager : Yang Sung-jin
Title : The Investor|Date of registration : 2015.04.28
Company Registration No. 104-81-06004
Mail-Order Business Registration 2016 - Seoul Yongsan - 00590
Huam-ro 4-gil 10, Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea
T : +82-2-727-0114|Business info
Gov’t registration No. Seoul 아04099